Fruit Hill School

Fruit Hill School

Fruit Hill School was built in 1882 on a hillside plot of ground purchased for $50 from Margaret McWilliams. The first teacher hired was a Mr. Trewit for $35 per month. Mrs. Hortense White was the last teacher at the school in 1949. After serving as an educational site for 68 years, the one-room building was used only for community events until it was abandoned in the 1950's.

Wood Stove In August 1981, the school was moved to a lot at the south end of West Street in Maquon by the Maquon Historical Association, sponsors of the project to restore and preserve this vanishing bit of Americana. A basement under the building, completed and dedicated in September 1984, now houses a museum containing historical items and Native American artifacts from the area.

Inside Fruit Hill School The restoration project and maintenance of the school is financed by donations and volunteer labor. The museum and school are open to visitors during the Knox County Scenic Drive or by appointment by calling 309-289-2817.

Outside Fruit Hill School Crowd at school

Back To Other Sites Main About Us Features