ABOUT US

Our Origins

The Knox County Historical Sites, Inc. can trace its origins to a Knoxville Womanís Club meeting in 1951 when the group wanted the door to the Hall of Records painted. From this group evolved a committee of civic-minded citizens interested in doing something about the old courthouse next door.

The Sites incorporated in 1953 and the following year, a delegation from the board of directors was selected to discuss the idea of starting a Knox County Museum on the second floor of the courthouse. The museum opened on Sept. 3, 1961.

Our Purpose

The purpose of the Sites, as stated in the by-laws, is "to promote, encourage and effect the restoration, preservation and appropriate use of buildings and appurtenant grounds and the appropriate marking of sites, all located in Knox County, Illinois, which have been associated with events of general and of historical importance."

Our Members

The Board of Directors consists of 15 unpaid volunteers. Terms are for three years and five directors are elected at the annual meeting of the members every October. Membership is open to anyone.

Membership Application and Contribution Form (member.txt)

Membership dues and contributions are used to preserve and restore the historic buildings and museum artifacts under the Sitesí guardianship.

2010 Board of Directors

Chris Bailey
Peg Bivens - President
Tammy Bould - Recording Secretary
Joe Burgess - Treasurer
John Daugherty
Joan Hotchkiss - Corresponding Secretary
Lowell Mannhardt
Phil Myers
Tom Myers - First Vice-president
Toby Myers
Pat Rose - Second Vice-president
Frances Sanford
Tom Wilson

Tours

The Knoxville sites and museum are open from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays from May through September and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the Knox County Scenic Drive A private tour of the Sites and museum may be arranged by calling (309) 289-6919 or the Knoxville City Hall (309) 289-2814. Although there is no fee for the tour, a freewill donation is appreciated.

Main Other Sites Features

Email sites@kville.org