|Haw Creek Township High School was organized in 1902 and the frame building, now known as Gilson School, was completed the following year. When school consolidation took place in 1948, the Gilson grade school was moved into the building and high school age students started attending school in Knoxville. The grade school was closed at the end of the 1976-77 school year and sat empty until the Gilson School Foundation formed in 1996 and purchased the building in 1997.|
|The old school is the largest remaining all wood building in Knox County. It was remodeled in 1928-29 with a walnut gymnasium added on the top story and one classroom on the northwest corner. The foundation is in the process of restoring the building with the goal to not only preserve the structure, but also to use it for community events.|
|An alumni reunion was held in 1998 for the 50th anniversary of the last high school graduating class. Plans are to make the reunion an annual event. The former students have been donating memorabilia for a museum, including scrapbooks and photographs from the yearly class trips. A high school student at the school who went on all of the short trips and major tours would have traveled approximately 16,000 miles during the four years.|
The Gilson School Foundation is working on the restoration. The two weekends before Halloween, the building is transformed into a Haunted House with proceeds used for the restoration project.